Hire the Best Radom Mitigation Services Company with These 6 Tips
Radon is a dangerous gas that causes cancer. It has no taste, color or smell but breathing it is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. It has been estimated that 20,000 people die every year from lung cancer caused by radon exposure, according to both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the office of the Surgeon General. Elevated levels are thought to be in one in every 15 American homes. This is one reason that so many radon mitigation services companies have popped up all over the country.
If you have had a radon testing company find elevated radon levels in your home, there are things you can do. Hiring the right radon mitigation services company is your first step. Here are some tips for hiring the right one.
- Ask them about their certification and insurance coverage. When you are picking a radon mitigation services company, make sure they have the proper certification. Every state has its own rules and regulations that govern radon mitigation and abatement so you need to check with state and local government officials to find what the rules are for where you live. You should also ask about their insurance coverage so that you are protected if they damage anything or anyone is injured while working on your home.
- Read all the paperwork they give you. You should do this when hiring a contractor to do any work in your home. Oftentimes, contracts for radon mitigation include disclaimers. When you talk to the radon mitigation services company, find out what method they plan to use to lower the levels in your home. They have multiple options for this and each has upsides and downsides, like everything in life. Before they start to work on your home, you should have a clear understanding of what they are doing.
- Get everything in writing. This means you should get the contract and estimates in writing but the contractor you have hired to provide radon mitigation services should also give you a diagrams and the specifications for the equipment they will use to lower the levels of the gas in your home. You need to make sure the radon mitigation services company is well versed and up to date on all of the building codes for your city, town or locality. Some of these companies really never bother to learn the building codes and that is just a recipe for disaster.
- Be wary when a radon mitigation services company offers guarantees against mold. Unless the company is insured for mold damage, you should not trust any company that offers this. If they offer a mold guarantee and claim they have the appropriate insurance, verify that with their carrier. Typically, liability insurance for radon companies does not include mold remediation. The company may have insurance for both but you should verify anything that they tell you. You need to see that mold is covered explicitly in the policy, anything less than that is worthless.
- Be careful with mechanical ventilation. This is an easy way to rid a home of some of the radon that is coming through the basement and is a very popular method among radon mitigation services companies but may not be the best thing for you. All they do is bring in fresh air from outside. That does lower the level of the gas but at the same time, it can introduce moisture, which can lead to dangerous mold. If your home is more than 2,000 square feet, this is not the way to get rid of radon in your home.
- Ask for active dehumidification systems. When combined with system to get more fresh air into your home, these are the best ways to remove radon from your home while preventing the introduction of mold attracting and promoting moisture. If you find a radon mitigation services company offering this as an option, you should take them up on it.
Radon is a scary substance. Uranium occurs naturally in the soil, rocks and water all over the planet. As it decays, it releases radon gas. The good news is that you can do something to protect your family.