6 Things To Consider Before Remodeling Your Kitchen
Kitchen renovations can help bring new life into any home. However, if you’ve never undergone remodeling before you could be unsure of where to start. Here are a few tips to help you get started, and perhaps save a couple dollars along the way!
Tips For Remodeling A Kitchen
- The Space. Before starting your kitchen renovation make sure you know what you want to get out of your new space, and how you want it to flow. Walk through the cooking process and see where you’d like things to be located for ease of access. Note down what you find and use them to help design the final layout.
- Keeping The Layout. Sometimes a complete change of layout isn’t necessary. If you’re satisfied with the flow of things, but think the space would benefit from an update, consider this option. Kitchen renovations don’t need to be complete overhauls, and sometimes less can be more. This option can also help save money which can then be put into other updated features.
- Contrast. When thinking about the design of updated features, consider creating contrast. This helps add a visual impact to the space, and gives a modern appeal. Neutral shades with a single bold color help create focal points that can even make the room seem larger. If you’re planning on adding, or updating, an island, this is a good object to focus on to center attention.
- The Backsplash. The backsplash is more important than many people believe, and creating an interesting, eye catching design, can really bring a kitchen to life. If you wanted to keep the appliances and colours relatively neutral, the backsplash can offer an outlet for creativity. Additionally, continuing the backsplash all the way to the ceiling creates the illusion of height, and adds a chic modern look to any kitchen.
- Lighting. Lighting is important in kitchen spaces, and when undergoing a kitchen remodel you should take the opportunity to improve the space. Installing a mixture of task, ambient, and mood lighting fixtures allows you to keep both functionality, and the option for change; which can come in handy for social gatherings. Additionally, if you do choose to install multiple fixtures, be sure to have separate switches installed as well. Dimmer switches work great with mood lights and can help set the ambiance for any occasion.
- The Island. When updating your island, keep in mind the size, and how it functions. Installing an island that is too big can impede movement, and islands with built in sinks can take away space if you also use it for casual dining. Take stock of how much space you have, or how large your current island is, and work from there.
A kitchen renovation can breathe new life into your home. As a room that is so frequently used, having a functional, yet stylish, space can make a huge amount of difference. If you’re thinking of remodeling your kitchen, don’t hesitate to reach out to multiple stylists and see what they can do for you. Find one that you feel comfortable with, who can work with your vision, but instruct you on what can be realistically done within the limits of your budget. These designers may also give you insight into options you might never have realized before!